Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Experience with Second Life

As an experiment, I decided to try out Second Life. I know that it might seem a little late but as I am studying Digital Marketing and becoming more involved with social media all the time now, I feel the need of experiencing the online world as much as I can, even if it’s just to know how people are using it.
 
So, I began by signing up for an account and choosing my avatar name and figure. I have to say that this first part was funny. Picking a new name and figure made me feel like I could be anyone in the world, “playing” and experiencing what is it like to be a different person.

 
After that, I had to continue and to select a place to start. I thought it would be good to see what kind of Brazilian places they had out there, so I selected a Brazilian Portal, where I would get a “tutorial” about how to use Second Life.

 
Then, I had to download a 'Second Life viewer' to my computer and that didn’t make me happy, but for the sake of the experience, I decided to download it and keep going. They tried to sell me a premium membership of Second Life, offering a beautiful pre-built home and L$1,000 in bonus, but I was definitely not ready for that yet! 

 
Finally, I was “transported” to this island and I was able to see the “new me” on my “new world”. Unfortunately, from now on my experience was very frustrating since I didn’t even know how to walk…Yes, it was like being a little baby again, giving my first steps.

 
Some people started “talking” to me – do you need help? we are here to help you? - And my only concern was not to hit someone while trying to move around (at this point, I didn’t have the full ability to turn right or left...haha!). I know this sound silly but I’m not a gamer and really never had a lot of talent with it.

 
After a couple of minutes playing and figuring out how to live my new life…... I got tired of it and thought it was just too much for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment