Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Place in Brazil

I was talking to my friend Jumoke last week about how people can’t live without “being connected” all the time. I don’t understand the reason why but people just feel the necessity of reporting every single thing they do to their friends and everyone else reading their online profiles. And people literally, sleep with their mobiles these days. 
 
The growth of Foursquare and the possibility of updating your location and sharing it make people even more likely to tell the world where they are and what they are doing. Definitely, as said Pete Cashmore - founder and CEO of Mashable, privacy is dead, and social media hold the smoking gun!

 
I was telling Jumoke about a place in Brazil (Chapada Diamantina) that I visited 2 years ago, where I had the opportunity to do a tracking on the forest for 4 days. The place had no electricity, no mobile signal and almost anyone living there. The only thing I could think about was the beauty of the place and how would I cross the next river or climb the next hill. The experience was amazing and I felt that I was living intensely every minute, not worrying about answering work emails, phone call or anything, only me and the nature.

 
Obviously, I enjoyed the time however I can’t imagine myself living a life like that, unaware of what’s happening in the world.

 
But it would be great if sometimes, I could just “turn-off everything” and go back to the peace and freedom of that Brazilian place.

2 comments:

  1. If I remember our conversation clearly this place didnt have toilets either? I'm sorry but no cellphone, no electricity AND no toilets??? I'll just have to find my own version of "nature" on 2nd life ;-D
    PS I sleep with my cell phone because it doubles as an alarm (that's the excuse i'm filing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the privacy, Jumoke... : ))

    ReplyDelete